Military Academy Nominations
Service Academy Info Night
Click here to watch Rep. Delgado's Service Academy Information Night held on April 28th from 6:00 - 7:00 PM.
Applications for the 2021 service academy nomination season are now open. 2021 application forms are available here
Please do not hesitate to call my Kingston District Office at 845-443-2930 or email firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any questions about this process
The honor of attending a Military Service Academy comes with the obligation and commitment to serve in the United States Military for a minimum of five years upon graduation.
Members of Congress may nominate candidates for appointment to four of the five U.S. service academies:
- the U.S. Military Academy (USMA), West Point, NY;
- the U.S. Naval Academy (USNA), Annapolis, MD;
- the U.S. Air Force Academy (USAFA), Colorado Springs, CO; and
- the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA), Kings Point, NY.
Note that the fifth service academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy (USCGA), New London, CT, does not require a congressional nomination for appointment.
Each applicant for a nomination must meet the following eligibility requirements as set forth by the academies as of July 1st of the year of admission to an academy:
- Must be at least 17 years old, but not have passed the 23rd birthday (25 years old for the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy);
- Must be a U.S. citizen;
- Must be unmarried, not pregnant and without legal obligation to support children or other dependents;
- Must reside within the boundaries of New York’s 19th Congressional District
- Must meet the medical, physical and academic requirements of the Academy.
What is a nomination?
Members of Congress may nominate applicants who meet the eligibility requirements as established by law. A candidate may seek a nomination from the following:
- A member of the U.S. House of Representatives who represents the congressional district in which the candidate resides;
- Either of the U.S. Senators from his or her state;
- The President or Vice-President of the United States;
- The Secretaries of the Army, Navy, or Air Force;
- The Superintendents of the service academies.
What if I choose more than one academy? Will I be limited to a single nomination?
- No. You can be nominated to multiple academies depending on how well you have competed among this year’s pool of candidates. It is also possible to win multiple appointments.
Congressional Nomination Methods
Congressman Delgado may nominate up to ten individuals for each vacant academy slot allotted to our district. High School and/or College students living in New York’s 19th Congressional District that are seeking a congressional nomination from Congressman Delgado are required to:
- Complete Congressman Delgado’s Military Service Academy Nomination Application Packet
- Interview with the New York-19’s Military Service Academy Selection Board.
Nominations are based on a “whole person” evaluation. Factors such as academic achievements, extra-curricular activities, leadership skills, physical aptitude, character and motivation are taken into consideration and compared with other applicants. Congressman Delgado’s office uses an evaluation method known as “Principal with Numbered Alternates.” Under this method, there is a designated principal nominee, and the alternate nominees are ranked in order of preference.
To request a Military Academy Nomination from our office, please complete the application process outlined below. We wish you the best as you pursue your goal of attending one of the U.S. Service Academies and serving our country.
All who wish to apply to a service academy class of 2026, can send completed applications to the Congressman’s Kingston District office (256 Clinton Avenue, Kingston, New York 12401). Applicants should plan to complete and submit their nomination packet to our office no later than October 29, 2021 at 5:00pm; late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
A complete nomination file consists of the following items:
- Application Form;
- High school/College transcript
- Standardize Test Scores (SAT/ACT)
- Resume of extracurricular activities
- Narrative responses to five questions in the application form.
- Three letters of recommendation: Applicants typically seek letters of recommendation from teachers, counselors, employers, coaches, clergy, and scout leaders. A specific recommendation form is not required. A letter is sufficient.
Interviews with New York’s 19th Congressional District’s Military Academy Selection Board members will occur during the fall of 2021. Applicants are eligible to undergo an interview with members of the Military Service Academy Selection Board only if they submit their completed application packet by the October 29, 2021 deadline.
This office may adjust 2021 interview practices due to COVID-19, and applicants will be notified of any change in procedure if changes are implemented.
All of Congressman Delgado’s Nominations will be sent to the Military Academies for consideration. A nomination does not guarantee an appointment to any academy. If selected, applicants will receive an offer of admission (an appointment) directly from the academy.
Who should I contact with further questions?
Feel free to call our Kingston District Office at 845-443-2930 with further questions.