Rep. Delgado Secures Funding for Local NY-19 Infrastructure Projects as Part of House INVEST in America Act
House Passes 13 Delgado Provisions to Address PFAS Contamination, Bolster Broadband, Strengthen Limo Safety
WASHINGTON – Today, U.S. Representative Antonio Delgado (NY-19) voted to pass the "Investing in a New Vision for the Environment and Surface Transportation in America (INVEST in America) Act," which includes funding for five infrastructure projects in New York's 19th Congressional District. Rep. Delgado, a member of the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, fought to ensure the local projects were included in the INVEST in America Act, which makes transformational investments in America's highways, roads, bridges, transit, rail, and water infrastructure to create jobs, modernize our infrastructure and reduce carbon pollution. The INVEST in America Act also includes eight Rep. Delgado-led pieces of legislation to address PFAS contamination, strengthen limo safety, bolster broadband construction, and more.
NY-19 Projects Rep. Delgado Secured Funding for:
- County Route 7&8—RTE 299 Roadway Repaving - Towns of New Paltz and Gardiner, NY $3,600,000
- Repaves New York State Route 299
- Will improve safety, increase accessibility, promote energy conservation, and assist local planned growth in Ulster County
- Reconstruction of the intersection of Rt 7, Rt 23 and Maple St in Oneonta into Roundabout Configuration -Oneonta, NY $3,200,000
- Replaces an existing traffic signal with a roundabout
- Enhances walking, biking, and pedestrian safety
- Replacement of the Bridge Street Bridge over Schoharie Creek- Schoharie, NY $6,254,400
- Replaces a nearly 100-year-old bridge that NYSDOT has found "structurally and functionally obsolete."
- Would prevent a 14-mile detour
- Safe and Accessible Midtown Kingston – Kingston, NY $6,053,818
- Connects affordable and senior housing complexes to business districts and will improve two dangerous railroad crossings
- Provides safer, more equitable transportation for pedestrians, cyclists, motorists, and those with disabilities
- Ulster County Electric Bus Charging Infrastructure – Kingston, NY $800,000
- Helps Ulster County Area Transit transition to a fully electrified fleet
- Will combat climate change and improve air quality
"Upstate families deserve clean water, safe roads, and affordable broadband. The INVEST in America Act will improve our quality of life, support small businesses, create good-paying jobs, tackle the climate crisis, and make our nation competitive on the world stage," said Rep. Delgado. "I am proud to secure funding for local surface transportation projects. From Ulster to Otsego, these projects will repave roads, repair bridges, and improve our upstate infrastructure."
Rep. Delgado-led Legislative Provisions:
- PFAS Transparency Act - Prohibits indirect discharges of industrial PFAS into wastewater treatment systems unless the treatment plant operator is given advanced notice.
- Clean Water Standards for PFAS Act - Requires the Environmental Protection Agency to establish national drinking water standards for PFAS and authorizes a grant program to assist publicly owned treatment works in overseeing compliance by industrial source polluters covered by these new regulations.
- Clean Water for Rural America Act - Increases authorization levels for Clean Water State Revolving Fund technical assistance grants for rural, small, and tribal municipalities from $25 million annually to $100 million annually from FY 2022 to FY 2026.
- End the Limo Loophole Act - Closes a loophole in federal law that allows stretch limousine operators to operate without a commercial driver's license and improves state limo inspection practices.
- Take Unsafe Limos Off the Road Act - Incentivizes states to strengthen policies to impound or immobilize unsafe limousines.
- SAFE Limos Act – Establishes a full slate of new federal stretch limousine safety rules and standards for seatbelts, seat integrity, a federal definition for limousines and crash safety research.
- Rural Transportation Improvement Act - The Formula Grants for Rural Areas program provides capital, planning, and operating assistance to states and federally recognized Indian tribes to support public transportation in rural areas with populations less than 50,000. This bill doubles the authorized funding levels for this program.
- Nationwide Dig Once Act – Requires the inclusion of broadband conduit—plastic pipes which house fiber-optic communications cable—during the construction of any road receiving federal funding.
This year alone, Rep. Delgado has passed 10 of his bills through the House of Representatives, and two have been signed into law.
Additional Resources on the INVEST in America Act: